Senior Tools Engineer
Craft:Technology & Development
King operates mobile games at an extensive scale. With titles like Candy Crush, Candy Crush Soda Saga and Farm Heroes Saga, our code runs on hundreds ofmillions of devices across the world. We believe that the right tools in the right hands are key to our success as a company.
If you want to boost productivity for the teams creating entertainment for millions of players to enjoy on the go then this is the right job for you. As Senior Tools Developer, you will drive innovation and take a lead in creating and maintaining tools and pipelines for our mobile casual games.
This role belongs to part of the Kingdom we call Shared Tech. The teams within Shared Tech work as B2B organizations working across all the technology that we use to power our live games, including data infrastructure, machine learning, payments infrastructure and the game engines themselves. The vision within Shared Tech is "We are the stage where King games love to perform”.
You will be working in Shared Tech’s Game Production organization, where we focus on impactful tooling and infrastructure to enable our content creators to build features faster, easier and more reliably. This includes working across different teams to facilitate both architectural decisions and hands- on development to support smaller feature teams based on rolling needs.
You should have a broad range of knowledge and be able to context switch easily to provide active support across the whole team. The ability to see the project as a whole is crucial as you monitor the development in real- time to determine how we should support and assist the rest of the development team.
King is a place where we build features in the open, collaboratively. We value diverse opinions and make sure every voice is heard. We offer you the freedom and opportunity to work on fulfilling tasks and to continue your journey as an expert tools developer.
Your Role Within Our Kingdom
You will enjoy a creative, ambitious and collaborative environment where your ideas will be every bit as valued as your programming expertise. Some of your responsibilities include:
- Design, architect, maintain, test and implement tools at scale
- Collaborate with different current and future users of our tools, bridging various crafts within King with the intent to optimize, improve and discover workflows across games
- Maintain, innovate and optimize new and existing tools
- Deliver high quality and well- structured code
- Share knowledge and standard processes with peers and game teams
- Coach other Developers and individuals in technical roles, such as Technical Artists and Technical Level Designers
Skills to Create Thrills
You are a programmer who enjoys an array of challenges, and strives to deliver great products and technology. You are curious and a fast learner, and are excited to contribute to live games with an extensive user base.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent Python knowledge with experience on implementing high- quality tools in a standalone and plugin context. Great C++ knowledge, with Rust experience being a plus
- Experienced with tools development - experience with performance- critical software is a bonus
- Ability to work closely with cross- discipline teams to understand their needs
- High sense of code quality and polish and the desire to build and maintain a high- quality code base
- Ability to develop on multiple platforms: Windows and OSX with Linux backends
- Practical experience (more than "hello world") of other programming languages is a plus
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here – like rolling down the Ramblas, taking a siesta or finding your seat (out of 99,786) at Camp Nou.