Game Design Director | Candy Crush Soda
Craft:Games Design & Production
King is known for its captivating games that bring moments of magic to players globally. Our mission – Making the World Playful – pushes us to create new experiences and elevate the gaming experience. We design games for everyone, everywhere, and of all backgrounds. Our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for one another, and love for our players help us take the art and science of gaming to the next level.
At King, Candy Crush Soda stands as one of our most beloved and successful game titles, enchanting players worldwide. We're now looking for an experienced Design Director to join our team. You will use your expertise to ignite the creativity of our hard- working team members, elevating our game's artistic elements, expanding our player base, and fostering deeper connections that captivate and engage. With close collaboration alongside the game's leadership and our versatile multidisciplinary team, you will together shape the future of the game.
Your Role Within our Kingdom:
Reporting to the Head of Creative, you will be a key partner in the execution and development of Soda’s level, gameplay, and economy design. You will be a thought leader and role model in the Kingdom for your craft, working closely with other creative leaders in the company to innovate and inspire.
Key responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the other craft leaders across the organization to craft and evangelize a cohesive creative vision for Soda.
- Help teams solve design problems while guiding them through vision and inspiring them to create best in class experiences.
- Grow and develop craft practices and innovation, translating product strategy into design vision and pillars.
- Act as a thought leader for design best practices and workflows, actively advocating for and leading in the areas of rapid prototyping, balancing, optimization, and design iteration.
- Inspire, nurture, and mentor game designers across Soda.
- Collaborate with cross- functional teams, including Product, UX, Art, Tech and Production to identify and follow through on strategies that address the needs of the players, the game, the team, and Soda.
Skills & experience:
- Demonstrated experience as a leader with vision within the game design craft, with particular emphasis in level design or economy and system design.
- Strategic creative problem solver with a scientific design mentality, not afraid to optimize and experiment to get the best results.
- Savvy understanding of emerging trends in gaming, bonus for enthusiasm around the mobile free to play market.
- Ability to communicate creative vision, process, decisions, and rationale to team members and cross- functional collaborators in a way that inspires and motivates.
- Enthusiasm about mentoring and growing talent, with curiosity and eagerness to learn.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment with complex team dynamics. Comfortable with translating craft language to communicate with a wide variety of teams.
- Strong emotional intelligence, with an ability to create influence and understanding in large organizations.
King is a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world, with people all around the world playing one or more of our games, including franchises such as Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch.
We have 249 million monthly active users as of fourth quarter 2019 across web, social and mobile platforms. King was acquired by Activision Blizzard Inc. (Nasdaq ATVI) in February 2016 and operates as an independent unit of the company.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We craft games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life! Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people.
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here – like rolling down the Ramblas, taking a siesta or finding your seat (out of 99,786) at Camp Nou.