Principal Data Scientist | Observability
Craft:Technology & Development
Principal Data Scientist - Client Foundation
We are open for this role to be based in one of our sweet locations in either:
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist, interested in pushing the boundaries of dev ops analytics to make sure speedy technology updates can be done safely in all of our games.
You will be part of Client Foundations, bringing flow to other developers within King. We are a team of 30+ skilled, knowledgeable, and passionate people with the goal to double in size during 2022! We are cross- located in Barcelona, Stockholm, and London with a flexible hybrid working model. The technology we produce is used across more than 14 different King games including Candy Crush Saga with nearly a quarter of a billion mobile game players every month!
You will work with establishing A/B testing for technology releases and building observability into our tooling offering. You will both act as a senior mentor as well as an individual contributor. You will be working closely with varied team members in a fun, dynamic and fast- paced environment. You’ll possess the role of a domain expert in data science for our area, and be part of the community of 80+ business intelligence & analytics experts at King.
Specifically you will:
- Identify business risks with technology releases for each game through A/B tests.
- Collaborate with senior engineers to analyze A/B tests and make connections on how technology changes may have affected business numbers.
- Find opportunities and up- level our quality verification process.
- Define and nurture observability and telemetry as a first class citizen.
- Analyze and find opportunities for improvement in developer usage and experience for SDKs, build environment and CI/CD pipelines.
- Work with product management to identify new internal business opportunities.
- Mentoring other data scientists, conducting code review and facilitating pair programming sessions.
- Communicating results to both technical and non- technical colleagues by generating dashboards, reports, and presentations.
- Providing an analytics perspective to discussions and prioritization within the team.
- Being the pro- active owner of the entire data chain for your Client Foundation.
Skills to Create Thrills
Our ideal candidate will have solid experience nurturing an analytical team in a technical environment. There is plenty of scope at King for you to learn from your colleagues in the areas where you have less experience, and to share your own skills where you are stronger.
Specific factors that are helpful to excel in this role include:
- Leadership: The ability to mentor, guide and inspire your colleagues and drive best methodologies across the company
- Partner Management: The ability to recognise dependencies, build relationships and influence others
- Business Insight: The ability to identify the problems and issues our games and business wants to solve, and then defining the right data, analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions
- Technology expertise: Understand software development, devops practices and QA.
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating, visualizing or reporting your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous
- SQL: Able to write complex SQL queries to analyze our databases with 300+ million players and work with relational database systems.
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as R, Python, or Excel for analytical purpose and model building
- Stats: Understanding the basics of appropriate statistical and/or machine learning techniques.
- A passion for analytics and diving into as well as experiencing the products on which you work (video game enthusiasm with a solid understanding of the connection of gameplay to spending behavior is a plus)
- Solid understanding of statistics; e.g., statistical power analysis, significance testing, t- tests, ANOVA, regression, time- series analysis, Bayesian methods, etc.
- Designing good ways of communicating, visualizing, or reporting your results/analysis in a clear and unambiguous way while demonstrating good team member management skills.
- Experience in tracing and debugging applications in large scale environments.
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here – like hiking and eating raw herring.