Lead VFX Artist - New Games
Your role within our Kingdom
We are looking for a highly talented and multi- skilled Lead VFX Artist with a real passion for making games. Working in our New Games business on one of our exciting new projects, you will be both hands on and leading, in all areas of the game where VFX are utilised.
Working closely with the projects Art Director, you will collaborate with an array of different crafts including Art, Tech and Game Design. Your focus and impact will be on creating great VFX that clearly communicates the right things to the player, as well as bringing excitement and delight to the game experience. You will also be responsible for leading VFX on your project, managing other VFX artists when required.
If you are a highly experienced VFX professional with a passion for creating amazing mobile game experiences for the next generation of King players, then we want to talk to you.
- Work closely with the Art Director to support the definition of the VFX style (in- game) and quality benchmarks for VFX on the project you are assigned to.
- Creation of high- quality and benchmark VFX, in the required style for your project.
- Support other VFX artists on your project to deliver VFX to the required levels of quality and efficiency.
- Support & Lead the planning for the project ensuring VFX is delivered according to the needs of the project, to the required technical specifications.
- Partner with all crafts needed to ensure VFX is delivered to a specification that offers great on- device performance, within the required technical budgets.
- Ensure VFX for the project is created and implemented in a way that is tidy, optimized and scalable for the game to become a long standing, live service on a wide array of mobile devices
- Manage a small team of VFX Artists where required, providing coaching, guidance and support, ensuring they are engaged, empowered and included within their career at King
Skills to Create Thrills
In the role of Lead VFX Artist, you will be able to demonstrate the following set of skills
- You are a creative person with great attention for detail and a passion for games
- You can work across many styles and genres in regard to conceptualising, creating, animating and implementing, various styles and genres of VFX
- A deep understanding of the fundamentals of great VFX, including (but not limited to) timing, physics, linear vs non- linear motion, colour theory etc.
- You can work closely with designers and other developer teams to produce visual effects that support gameplay, accessibility and user experience.
- Experience in utilising and adapting real time shaders and post processing effects
- Strong knowledge in environmental effects, simulations, lighting and dynamics
- The ability to create original texture sprites and sprite sheets to create particle effects
- Knowledge of building VFX libraries, as well as establishing and maintaining an organized and optimized VFX asset pipeline.
- Excellent knowledge of industry standard applications such as
- 2d content creation packages like the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, After Effects etc.)
- 3d content creation packages like Maya, Max & Z- brush (Maya preferred)
- Game development tools such as Unity or Unreal
- Spine or similar 2d animation packages
- Knowledge of technical constraints, optimization, and implementation techniques for VFX in both 2d and 3d
- Versatility and problem solving, with a dedicated, passionate and skilled approach to game and visual design challenges
- Strong listening and interpretation skills, with an ability to decipher art styles and then visualise them effectively
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to self- organise well, plan effectively and work autonomously
- An innovative spirit, happy to go beyond the assigned tasks, actively seeking responsibility
- Previous experience of working in casual mobile games, including live operations
- An understanding of core UX principles
A portfolio demonstrating all aspects of your skill is required.
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here – like rolling down the Ramblas, taking a siesta or finding your seat (out of 99.786) at Camp Nou.