Director, Product Management – Warcraft Arclight Rumble
Blizzard Entertainment is a community of 4,000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming but entertainment and the technology that drives our player experience.
We are on a quest to find a legendary Director, Product Management who is a master of their craft to support our most recently announced game Warcraft Arclight Rumble. The ideal candidate will be a key leader on the steering team of W.A.R. and lead the Product Management team supporting the development of the Warcraft franchise’s first mobile game. Importantly, they will have a deep understanding of and empathy for our players because they are a player themselves.
Growing the Warcraft Franchise
Over nearly 30 years, Warcraft has demonstrated remarkable longevity as an industry- leading game and franchise. Even with that long history of success, Warcraft continues to drive growth today. In the last few years, the game has seen its highest player counts, strongest player sentiment, and business outcomes in nearly a decade.
Warcraft is a billion- dollar franchise with significant room to continue to grow. This critical role will own the strategy and execution that will enable that continued growth in deep partnership and collaboration with teams across Blizzard. Help define the future of Warcraft, grow our player base, and drive our games’ long- term success.
Business Performance Leadership at Blizzard
As a core part of our franchise and game leadership teams, successful Product leaders at Blizzard need a unique mix of quantitative and qualitative capabilities. The same levels of creativity, innovation and ingenuity that our creative teams bring to areas like design and art, we expect from our product leaders in strategy, data, live ops, and monetization.
This requires a unique combination of data- driven thinking to identify strategic opportunities, the creativity and passion to execute in innovative and player- centric ways, and the collaboration to influence and align deeply passionate and invested development team.
- Develop the long- term strategy for the business of our game, communicate the vision, and give updates on progress to leadership.
- Build and manage a world class Product Management Team including the capability to provide the right data, information, and insights to support short- and long- term decision making. Be a fierce advocate for the quantitative, data informed culture
- Establish goals and KPIs to measure player base health and business performance. Monitor and escalate potential issues and share performance data with development, publishing, and commercial leadership. Lead forecasting efforts, scenario planning and business reviews. Drive experimentation and A/B testing strategies
- Partner with design teams to ensure our game mechanics, core game loops and system design align with our player needs and business goals, create and balance models for game economies, progression systems, and model and maintain in- game economy health.
- Define a Live Ops strategy that drives growth including defining the content and release cadence to meet performance goals and partner with the development team to manage the live service to drive acquisition, retention, and monetization while maintaining a healthy community; propose compelling features to improve engagement, retention, and monetization; and report out on performance.
- Create, maintain, and optimize sustainable monetization models that maximize long- term franchise revenue, including content, monetization, testing, and optimization. Own the Shop strategy
- Identify and execute growth strategies and initiatives. Define the Live Service approach, including content and release cadence and ensure we are meeting and achieving our performance goals.
- Identify discreet player segments and develop or propose initiatives to address them.
- Track player life cycle and acquisition funnel and execute initiatives to grow the player base.
- Be an expert resource on the genre and industry business practices: business models, live ops, content strategy, disruptive features, and launches.
- Partner with the publishing team to define, coordinate, and execute out of game activities and events (e.g., pricing and promotions).
- Partner with publishing and development teams to develop SKU and content strategies (in and out of game).
- Drive transparency and collaboration with key internal teams like Battle.net.
- Increase the repeatability of our successes by sharing best practices and lessons learned with other game teams and bring the best of Warcraft to Blizzard.
- Passion for the business of games and plays games extensively so you can understand the perspective of players and represent those in your work
- Experience leading a PM function including hiring, training, and managing a team of PMs
- Deep knowledge in the key performance metrics that drive game performance
- Ability to effectively balance the needs of technology, business, and user experience
- Demonstrated ability to drive change and accountability through influence and collaboration
- Built and managed product and/or data teams at scale
- Data- driven decision maker with intellectual humility and a passion for testing
- 5+ years of experience including product management, live ops performance, or monetization design; 2+ years of experience managing product management teams
- Experienced manager with a history of guiding high performers to do their best work
- Collaborative problem solver, structured and organized thinker, excellent written and verbal communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage complex projects with diverse stakeholders all over the world (disciplines, regions, etc)
Covid- 19 Hiring Update: We’re currently in a work- from- home model, and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position but will transition to at least a partial in- office position based out of Irvine, CA. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences.
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications need to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
, Santa Monica
Data, Analytics & Strategy, San Francisco