Legal Counsel (Consumer & Commercial)
Job Title: Legal Counsel (Consumer & Commercial)
Reporting To: Director, Legal
Location: King Office (London), Wardour Street, Soho, UK
Contract Term: Permanent full time
Activision Blizzard plays a centralized role in the creation of epic entertainment by supporting our interactive gaming brands and studios with a diverse range of career opportunities across corporate functions such as Marketing, Communications, Legal, Human Resources, Finance and more.
Based in Soho, the cultural heart of London’s West End with a vast array of classic record shop and leading film companies, media offices and great restaurants. Regent’s Park is close enough for a lunchtime run, as are the delights of Piccadilly Circus and the shopping mecca of Oxford Street. It is conveniently walking distance from a number of London tube stations and mainline train stations.
As Legal Counsel, you will be part of Activision Blizzard and King’s EMEA legal team, working in a challenging and collaborative environment where your ideas will be every bit as valued as your legal expertise. You’ll get the flexibility to work on a wide range of consumer and commercial issues across key parts of our business, including our game franchise and marketing teams.
Priorities can often change in a fast- paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Consumer & regulatory - advising our business and game teams on consumer and regulatory issues, including advertising, gaming, consumer protection and pricing, e- commerce and data protection
- Marketing - advising our marketing teams on consumer- facing brand and game marketing campaigns, from concept to execution
- Generalist intellectual property advice, including asset clearance and release in relation to new game releases and/or new content & features
You have great passion for both commercial and consumer law and how it can be used effectively and positively in the Activision Blizzard and King businesses. You’ll be passionate, enthusiastic and interested in the company and our games.
Qualifications/Training (appropriate to the job)
- Qualified in a well- respected law firm in the UK or other EU jurisdiction with ideally 3- 5 years PQE, able to demonstrate excellent academics.
- Ideally experience working within our, or a similar, industry e.g. gaming, tech, media, or e- commerce
Knowledge/Experience/Skills/Abilities (appropriate to the job)
- Experience advising on a range of consumer- facing legal considerations, ideally with significant exposure to marketing, advertising and/or IP work
- Excellent written and communication skills (English)
- Excellent attention to details
- PowerPoint presentation, Word and Excel proficiency
- Knowledge of EU Data Protection laws and regulations
- Experience working as part of a team and supporting/delegating to more junior team members
Personal Attributes (appropriate to the job)
- Team player with ability to build relationships and actively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders of all levels across the business.
- The ability to work concurrently on a variety of projects, effectively prioritise and work under demanding deadlines with a “can do” attitude being essential.
- Collaborative, proactive, commercial, creative and of course, passionate about games
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well- being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast- paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
King is the game developer behind the world- famous Candy Crush franchise, as well as mobile game hits including Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch and Pet Rescue. Candy Crush is the top- grossing franchise in US app stores, a position it has held for the last two years, and King’s games are being played by 245 million monthly active users as of Q3 2021. King, which is part of the Activision Blizzard group since its acquisition in 2016, employs nearly 2,000 people in game studios in Stockholm, Malmö, London, Barcelona and Berlin, and offices in San Francisco, New York, and Malta.
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players - and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications needs to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here.