Principal Game Designer - The Lab
Craft:Games Design and Production
Are you an intrapreneur with proven experience shipping outstanding game features? Do you have a solid background in game design theory and practice? Do you have experience leading? Are you interested in designing experiments that will contribute to boost innovation in casual games?
We’re looking for a Principal Game Designer to join our Kingdom. You’ll crush it in a team where you will experiment, go beyond boundaries and, above all, make things happen. Break the rules, make the rules - do whatever it takes to make unforgettable experiences for our players.
Your role within the Kingdom
As an intrapreneur
- The Principal Game Designer’s role is to explore new design opportunities and help develop the vision and direction of the Lab game design alongside an experienced cross- discipline team.
- Identify short and mid- term opportunities for casual mobile games and define ways to test them in a lean way: learn - build - measure.
- To do so, you are capable of transforming high level ideas into concrete and well thought- out game designs that can be tested and assessed to see whether they can become the hits of tomorrow.
- Collaborate with our brand, marketing, social media and community teams to test and gather players’ feedback as efficiently as possible.
- Develop a deep understanding of our player’s needs and motivations in order to recommend improvements and opportunities.
- You stay aware of the most recent market trends and propose innovative concepts for the upcoming ideas and experiments.
As a mentor
- Harness the creativity of the entire team to craft great new additions to the games.
- A master of iterative, agile development process, you know how to share your knowledge and best practices.
- Documentation and tracking are your second- home, you can help designers produce and update game briefs/specs that contain the right level of detail while staying concise and readable.
- As an evidence- lover, you help more junior designers to design responses to performance indicators and customer feedback.
- Provide both high- level game design direction and hands- on design implementation feedback to more junior members of the team.
- You will provide the resources needed (books, games, tools...) for your team to grow.
Skills to create thrills
- Experience in working in cross functional teams and great collaboration skills with other crafts.
- Experienced in operation of live games and data- driven environments. Passion for creating polished, innovative, and most importantly, fun gameplay experiences.
- The candidate will bring knowledge, experience, design capabilities and enthusiasm to the team to help achieve the objectives of developing our next and ambitious new great project
- You are capable of conveying a design vision to a range of different audiences
- You’re someone who is self- motivated, who thrives in an agile environment
- You are a natural mentor to other designers
- You pay great attention to detail, this is why you will write the keyword "octopus" somewhere in your resume.
- Deep knowledge of game design and design theory.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Reliable scheduling/time management skills
- Proactive attitude, you’re known by your colleagues as an intrapreneur
- Knowledge of analytics and KPIs.
- Working in a humble and open manner, with a willingness to both teach and learn from your colleagues.
- Staying up to date with industry techniques, standards and workflows, with awareness of current & upcoming game titles & technology.* Previous experience with ‘Match Puzzle’ games (E.g. Match- 3, Clicker, Linker, Bubble Shooter…)
- Experience with both Level Design, Game Design and UX Design
- Experience creating successful Live Ops- or Events- style features for games
King is a leading interactive entertainment company for the mobile world, with people all around the world playing one or more of our games, including franchises such as Candy Crush, Farm Heroes, Pet Rescue and Bubble Witch.
We have 249 million monthly active users as of fourth quarter 2019 across web, social and mobile platforms. King was acquired by Activision Blizzard Inc. (Nasdaq ATVI) in February 2016 and operates as an independent unit of the
A Great Saga Needs All Sorts of Heroes
Making games is fun. Especially when you do it with people who share the same idea of what makes a good workplace great. We design games for everyone, no matter where they are or who they are, and we employ all sorts of people from all kinds of backgrounds to bring them to life. Truth is, we simply cannot expect diversity in our players and originality in our games without first nurturing it in our people. A great saga needs all sorts of heroes.
Making the World Playful
Making the World Playful is what inspires us to create new experiences and raise the bar. It’s what makes King a place where we can all dream bigger, continue to add innovation to our games, broadening the portfolio and exploring new territories in mid- core and casual. We take the art and science of gaming to the next level through our curiosity for the unexplored, passion for games, respect for each other and love for our players – and we’re not afraid to have fun along the way. In fact, together with our parent company Activision Blizzard and experts around the world, we believe having fun is good for you. There has never been a better time to join us. We're dreaming bigger and see a world of possibilities ahead. If you share our passion, our values, and our hunger to shape the future, join us in Making the World Playful!
Applications needs to be in English.
Discover King at careers.king.com
Here at King, we know moving to another country is a life changing decision.
That’s why we’ve gathered everything essential in this easy-to-read-guide. This way you can enjoy your time fully when you get here – like rolling down the Ramblas, taking a siesta or finding your seat (out of 99.786) at Camp Nou.
Games Design and Production, Barcelona
Games Design and Production, Stockholm
Games Design and Production, London
Games Design and Production, Malmö